What’s in a name?
The Good Man, being the very good man that he is, agreed to run my car into the shop today. So as such, he drove me to work this morning.
As we careened down the Bay Area highways, we were cut off by a Mercury Mountaineer.
I said to TGM, “The Mountaineer…that was never really a big hit, was it?”
TGM said, “No, it’s essentially a Ford Explorer anyway.”
Then I replied, “I always thought Mountaineer was a stupid car name anyway.”
Which tipped off a whole conversation about absurd car names…TGM was on a ROLL. I laughed my head off and in the middle of his rant, I said, “I foresee a blog entry.”
So here it is. The content below is mostly stolen from the brilliant mind of TGM.
Without further ado, my top five most absurd names of cars you’ll see rolling on the roads today:
5. Nissan Armada. “What, is the main feature that it sinks off the coast of England?” said TGM (A comment that had me laughing so hard I got a stitch in my side.)
4. Dodge Durango. What a wimpy SUV name. Have these people ever actually BEEN to Durango. I have. And what is it about the sleepy Colorado town that the car should evoke? Am I supposed to think snow? And mountains? No, I think tourist trap. Look at me in my rolling tourist trap.
3. Chevy Avalanche. “Now that name is appropriate, it is a disaster rolling down a hill.” (TGM was on fire this morning.)
2. Toyota Echo. “It’s bears a faint resemblance to a car, but isn’t actually a car.”
1. The winner and still the King: Ford Probe. “I sure as hell don’t want something made by Ford up in space,” said TGM. To which I replied “or up my butt”.
Yes, childish as I am…the Ford Probe makes me think of something more…medical. I don’t want to think of uncomfortable medical situations while driving to work every morning.
Or maybe that’s just me.
Anyhow…there were plenty more, but I was laughing so hard, I couldn’t make notes.
Special thanks to TGM for both his brilliance and for making the ride to work more fun.
If you drive any of the above automobiles, I’m sure it’s a *fine* car…just has a dorkish name! :)
R. E. D.
When I was a bartender, one of my most annoying regulars drove a Ford Probe. And it was pink. Seriously.
Norman has a pink Probe.
And he wondered why he had a hard time getting dates.
Ok, that made me laugh so hard tears came out of my eyes…..
Your point about your ride affecting your dating life…tis a good one! :)